Secretary, as the Chief Accounting Authority, discharges accounting function through Financial Advisor and Controller of Accounts. The Controller of Accounts, in the capacity of representative of CGA is the Head of Department (HOD) of the Accounting Organisation, works under Integrated Finance scheme and is assisted by two Dy. Controller of Accounts, one each at Headquarters and CWC, R.K Puram and one Asstt.Controller of Accounts at Farakka Barrage Project, Farakka and by 12 Pay & Accounts Officers in different PAOs of the Ministry located throughout the country.
The Accounting Organization in the Ministry comprises, Principal Accounts Office, three local PAOs of Delhi viz. PAO Central Water Commission, PAO Central Soil & Material Research Station and PAO -Sectt. (Main Ministry) and three outside PAOs viz. PAO, Central Ground Water Board, Faridabad (Haryana), PAO- Central Water & Power Research Station, Pune (Maharashtra) and PAO, Farakka Barrage Project, Murshidabad (West Bengal).
Duties and Responsibilities of the Controller of Accounts, Ministry of Water Resources:
• To advise and assist the Ministry of Water Resources on matters relating to Finance, Budget, Accounting, Expenditure Management, establishment matters and personal claims of the employees.
• To administer the payments and accounting system through PAOs and DDOs of various departments in various units of the country, including pay and allowances, office contingencies, miscellaneous payments of admissible loans, advances to government servants etc.
• Public expenditure management through compilation and consolidation of monthly and annual receipts and expenditure of the Ministry to the Controller General of Accounts (CGA).
• To monitor expenditure progress.
• To prepare Statement of Central Transactions, Appropriation Accounts, Union Finance Accounts and Receipts Budget and submit to O/o CGA, Ministry of Finance.
• To prepare Accounts at a Glance for the year.
• To exercise the power of the Head of the Department for the Accounting Organization and managing the cadre with reference to career counseling, training, transfer, promotion, leave, vigilance and disciplinary matters etc.
• To provide general guidance to Internal Audit teams and liaison with the Ministry of Finance; and External Auditors, i.e. C&AG of India.
• To maintain liaison with O/o CGA for banking structure and verify and reconcile all receipts and payments made on behalf of the Ministry through the banks.
• To ensure prompt payment of grants in aid, loans and bill and monitoring of repayments and utilization certificates.
• To ensure speedy settlement of pension and other retirement benefits, General Provident Fund and other personal claims cases.
• To translate accounting information into useful MIS for appropriate management decisions.
• To act as Appellate Authority for RTI cases in respect of Accounting Organization of the Ministry of Water Resources.
• To monitor the Action Taken Note (ATNs) relating to all C & AG/PAC paras.